Current Housing Relief Programs
Keep up to date with state and local relief programs to address COVID-19-related housing distress.
This page will be updated as new programs launch and others come to a close.
Cook County COVID-19 Recovery Emergency Rental Assistance (ERA)
Do you live in Suburban Cook County and need help paying rent and utilities due to COVID-19?
The Cook County Emergency Rental Assistance program pays up to 12 months of missed rent and utility payments and up to 3 months of future rent payments. Payments will be made directly to your landlord and utility company.
Application Period: March 11th thru April 2nd
Apply Online: Cook County COVID-19 Recovery Website
Basic Eligibility: To be eligible, applicants must
- Live in suburban Cook County and rent their home
(Landlords may apply on behalf of eligible tenants)
- Lack access to other support (e.g., don’t live in public housing or receive rental assistance from other programs during the same time period)
- Have proof of financial hardship due to the COVID-19 pandemic
- Have a household annual income at or below these requirements:
Steps to Apply:
1. Check your eligibility at www.cookcountyil.gov/recovery
2. Download the application checklist and gather your documents
3. Apply at cookcountygov.org/recovery starting on March 11th
For questions, language translation services, or help to complete your application, please call the Emergency Rental Assistance Program helpline at 877-426-6515.
HMIS Privacy Notice: View/Download Here